As the largest city in Oregon, the actions taken in Portland have relevance to us in Eugene... and lately, how to handle their housing crisis has been a top issue. Some recent developments:
- Portland passes comprehensive plan: Like Eugene, Portland is required to create 20-year comprehensive land use planning documents. Unlike Envision Eugene, Portland has recently passed their plan.
- Construction Excise Tax: Portland has responded quickly to Oregon's decision to allow inclusionary zoning activities-- Portland's city council is considering a tax on new development that would raise money for affordable housing.
- New Regulations may reduce scale of homes, and allow more duplexes: Proposed rules would prevent larger, non-conforming houses in single family zones, but incentivize density and affordable units such as duplexes and other missing middle housing.
- Ultra-low housing inventory in Portland: The number of homes being sold in Portland is declining, due the lack of supply of houses.
- Portland leads nation in increase in housing prices. Since October, Portland's home prices have been increasing faster than anyplace else in the country.